Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Creating an EndNote Library
Ensure that both your EndNote library file and the data folder are in the same location. For EndNote (Mac), you can choose to save your EndNote library as a package. This means you will have only 1 file and the data folder which stores all the documents and information will not visible.
Creating groups to manage references
Create Groups, Group Sets, and Smart Groups in EndNote to organize your references without creating multiple libraries.
- Organize your references by different topics to help you better keep track of your references
- drag and drop citations into group folders
- citations can be placed in more than 1 group
- Organize your numerous groups into sets
- Smart Groups
- Automatically add references to a group with specific criteria
Create a Group:
- On the EndNote toolbar, select Groups > Create Group.
- Enter a Name for the group.
- Click on All References to view the references in your library.
- Highlight references you wish to add to the Group (use the Ctrl key to select multiple references).
- Select Groups > Add References to > Group name. (or drag and drop references into the group)
Create Group Sets to organize your numerous groups:
- On the EndNote toolbar, select Groups > Create Group Set
- Enter a Name for the Group Set.
- To create new groups under the Group Set: right click on the Group Set, select Create Group and enter a name.
- To add existing groups to the Group Set: left click on a group and drag to the Group Set.
Create Smart Groups to automatically add references to a group with specific criteria:
- On the EndNote toolbar, select Groups > Create Smart Group
- A search box will appear. Enter a Name for the Smart Group
- Enter criteria for your search using the drop-down menus and text boxes.
- Click Create.
- A new Group will appear under Smart Groups in the left panel.
- Smart Groups are designated by a light bulb/magnifying glass icon
- Every new reference added to your library that meets the set criteria will automatically be added to the Smart Group.
Note: Smart groups will not be updated through EndNote Web sync.
Inserting and Editing Citations in MS Word
Finding and inserting citations
Formatting a Bibliography with the Citation Command
In your Word Document, select the "EndNote" ribbon
Click on the small arrow at the bottom of the "Bibliography" section to open up the "Configure Bibliography" command pop-up window
Use the "Format Bibliography" tab in the window to change the citation style for the entire paper
Use the "Layout" tab to edit the font and spacing for the bibliography, as well as to insert a title for the bibliography
Click the "OK" tab
*NOTE: The EndNote Library you're using must also be open